Government House about 1907, photograph taken from the Governor's wharf in
Pago Pago Harbor.

(Photograph courtesy of Ms. Karen Wheat.)
Government House
Government House

16
Government House

Government House Navy Building No. 1 was built in 1903 in the Tropical Victorian Military style on Togotogo Ridge in Utulei. It was constructed under the direction of Commander Benjamin F. Tilley, USN who was the first Officer in charge of the U.S. Naval Station Tutuila. It was built by Samoan workers under the supervision of Naval architects and two skilled mainland carpenters for $15,000 by the U.S. Navy. It is a two story structure with 10,400 square feet of floor space. Since 1903 it has served as the resident of all subsequent Naval and civilian governors up to and including American Samoa current governor Tauese Sunia. Government House was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, it became part of the U.S. Naval Station Tutuila Historic District in 1990 and was designated as a National Historic Land Mark in 1990.